You have a thing for cameras and good photography, but have nowhere to sell your pictures? Well, then it’s a clear case – start photographing right away or select your best work from the countless files on your hard drive.
The same goes of course for all of you who like to film; select and cut your best (in this case most salable) clips.
And if you prefer to use your imagination and draw, scribble or sketch, you might want to get into vector illustrations (use Adobe Illustrator, it’s free alternative Inkscape or alternatively Corel Draw).
Pick the right pictures!
There are several categories that have great sales potential and are more willingly accepted by the agencies than others. On most contributor websites you will find additional lists, here is a small overview for you.
Categories with high sales potential:
- Business – Office, management, corporate, info-graphics…
- Industry – Machinery, farming and heavy industries like mining…
- Technology – Smartphones, Tablets & everything about the Communication Industry.
- Medical Care– Everything from Hospitals, Doctors, the Health System to Insurances.
- People – working, in social situations, interacting, relaxing.
- Food & Drinks – High class cooking to organic food markets.
- Emotion – All the feeling you can imagine.
- Isolated objects – Check the market for underrepresented objects!
- Sports – Health, training and new trends
- HQ Nature – but it needs to be really high quality to actually sell.
Categories with low sales potential:
- Pets – There is really no demand for cute shots of pets.
- Travel – Ask yourself this – Who would pay money for a picture of you at the beach?
- Flowers – It’s the easiest target & there are too many flower shots already.
- Sunsets – It looks beautiful, I agree, but it’s the same problem as above with the flowers…
I advise you to check the agencies bestsellers in the categories you want to submit to yourself.